Sunday, July 28, 2013

An Act of Bravery

"'A brave man acknowledges the strengths of others,' Four replies.
'A brave man never surrenders.'"
-Divergent by Veronica Roth

I guess you could kind of say that I obsess over this book. It has some pretty good messages, and it really makes you think--think about selfishness, bravery, honesty, pride, cruelty and so much more.

Right now I am questioning who is right, Four or Eric? As I was reading the book (for the tenth time) in the car I asked the question of who is right. My dad replied that a brave man will never surrender even if he will lose. I think I may disagree with my dad, that is only part of being brave. I think a brave man will also admit if someone is stronger than him. However that might also be a smarter man.

My dad also said that a brave man will see the strengths of others and try to protect himself against it and use the weakness of others against them. However I would think that is kind of cowardly. I always hear that you aren't supposed to pick at peoples weaknesses. You have to strike them in there strongest part so you can learn from it and get stronger too.

The whole point of the Dauntless faction is to overcome cowardice but if you attack a person when they are weakest then aren't you a coward for not hitting them where they are stronger. I think so. To me bravery isn't just about not surrendering, it's about getting stronger and learning from others.

This is the point Veronica Roth wanted she wanted people to question morality and I am. I really recommend her book Divergent and it's sequel Insurgent, and her blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment