Monday, July 15, 2013

A Changing Country

People are hard to change. That is that, if you don't believe me then try and change yourself, it's not that easy. Some people are easier to change than others yes, but the majority of people don't want to change so they won't. Think of trying to change a state. A country.


Not so easy right? Sure it's possible but you have to give it time. And, one of the most difficult things...freedom. You can't force people to change you have to give the freedom to change themselves. It's easier that way.

Why am I saying all of this?

Well because of some of the recent things that have been on the news.

America has come a very long way from where we were. I am sure that my grandma wouldn't have thought that in her lifetime she would witness the Civil Rights Era AND America having an African American president. It's amazing.

I hope that in my lifetime there will be no need for the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) because we will all look at each other as equals. No discrimination against minorities or majorities. We "...will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character". We are still working toward Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s goals that he gave in his I Have a Dream speech.

I personally think that we have come a long way. We can do better, yes, and we will do better but we should also praise how far we have come. Now, I cannot imagine having a separate bathroom just because of the color of a person's skin. I cannot imagine seeing people throwing food at people doing sit-ins, for something everyone should have, equal rights. I cannot imagine, a person being denied the right to their education, just because of the color of their skin. And most of all, I cannot imagine police officers turning on peaceful protesters.

But this all happened. And we have learned. And we will continue to learn. With time we will change.

No comments:

Post a Comment