Monday, August 19, 2013

Earning Your Honor

Even though school hasn't started yet for me I still have to do some work so I won't be so stressed out when school does start. For one assignment I had to watch a movie. I picked one of my favorite Disney princesses, Mulan. So I started watching and writing my paper over the movie. (Spoiler Alert!)

As I was watching Mulan I figured out why Mulan is one of my favorites (The other favorite is Pocahontas.) I compared Mulan to all of the other Disney princesses, including Pocahontas, and I realized that what Mulan does is something the other Disney characters don't do. Mulan goes out and she gets it. Technically Mulan isn't even a princess, but she's better than the others because she wasn't born into greatness, and she didn't have greatness thrust upon her. Mulan earned it.

I made the point of my paper to be why standing in the crowd isn't always the right choice. Mulan proves it constantly in the movie that what everyone else does isn't always right. The biggest example is going against the law and joining the Imperial Army. Even when she starts to lose hope in herself she tries again.

In the movie, Mulan states, "I just wanted to see someone worth while."

Before she might not have been someone worth while, but she changes that. She becomes someone worth while, she makes herself into someone worth while. SHE DOES IT. No one else did it for her. She wasn't born with a crown, heck she was even told that she would never bring honor to her family. The match maker was clearly wrong because Mulan brought home the Emperors Crest to honor her family. The point being that Mulan didn't start off honorable, few people ever do, she became honorable.

People didn't believe she would be anything, but she proved them wrong. That is why Mulan is my favorite Disney princess. Mulan is the best figure for a little girl to look at and say I want to be like that Disney princess. In a way a little girl could grow up to be like Mulan (maybe not exactly but you get my point...) a little girl could learn that she has to achieve her own dreams because not everyone is going to see her with a crown.

No comments:

Post a Comment