Monday, August 5, 2013

Changing Water Flow, I Don't Think So...

I have recently learned that although, changes are awesome and sometimes for the better...they aren't always. Sometimes after you write something down, and you've kept it and built it into the story, it really does belong. It makes sense. It flows. It WORKS.

So why do I keep wanting to change it?

I have the theory that I'm so used to changing the story before that I must constantly change it. I mean... It worked then so won't it work now.

NO. What I have now has been crafted together. It flows already remember? What I want to do is make it flow differently, change things up. And you can't change the rivers flowing direction (unless you're an earthquake, but I am not).

But I have to. I want to. I need to. After constant change I want to change it even more. And then more. And more. Until it is not what I originally had.

But the truth is the original stuff works. It meshes together and creates this really sweet story that I originally loved. That your reader loves too. If your reader doesn't like it, change it to a way that both of you do. So you still have the original stuff and the reader still has the grand toppings.

To sum up what I've learned. Advice to solving the problem of constant change: Ask your reader first. I don't know if that's what an author typically does but that's what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment